Product information management is quite important in the first place, and nowadays, with eCommerce’s astonishing growth rates, it’s even more important. To maximize customer satisfaction your product information should be both distinctive and captivating.
A lot of the companies are using (or at least showing interest in) PIM and PCM for that exact purpose.
PCM – Product Content Management – is the capability content, be it description and/or some other assets.
PIM – Product Information Management – in its’ core it’s a number of features for creating the product information, improving it, and distributing it through various channels. Also it includes the ability to create smart and automated catalogues.
The general idea of those features is that PIM is the one for managing the products themselves, and PCM is for managing the product’s content. In addition, PCM makes the data consolidation from all the different eCommerce channels easier.
For smart management of both PIM and PCM at once there’s a solution called Product Experience Management (PXM, for short). It’s a mixture of PIM and PCM that provides an effective time and support management system and makes a noticeable influence on your eCommerce channel’s developments peed.
Product Information Management (PIM) is a way for product information’s quick and efficient creation and management. PIM also includes a feature of distributing the product information via various eCommerce or sales system and others.
Benefits of this solution are:
eCommerce channels integration – It is possible for any merchant to use PIM for various modules’ integration, like mobile, ERP, eCommerce module sand a few more. eCommerce connector is the requirement for any integration operation.
Service speed – One of the benefits of integrating eCommerce channels former chants is the server loads reduction. PIM is an easy way of managing and exporting almost any number of products.
Overall cost – At PIM’s core is the fact that a lot of manual work processes are now managed automatically. In essence, it means less “man hours” for managing the same process with PIM than without it. The bigger the amount of products in the merchant’s checklist – the bigger the difference.
Ownership and Transparency – Managing thousands of products isn’t the only function PIM provides. A PIM user can easily create different groups for their employees with privileges assigned to each of them, it helps with better transparency in regards of the assigned tasks.
Product Content Management (PCM) is a process of managing both content and data. Its main feature is the delivery of both distinctive and accurate, as well as captivating, content. And the importance of providing such content these days is much higher than it was before eCommerce started growing so fast.
Benefits of this solution are:
Expandability – PCM allows for much easier than usual product creation as well as provides the ability to do a lot of operations with your products in bulk.
Adjustability – PCM makes it easier to control all of the aspects of your product content.
Overall Cost – PCM is a one-time purchase, once you set it up the right way – it requires objectively small number of actions to maintain and manage your products.
To expand on the question of PIM vs PCM – here’s the number of similarities and / or differences:
1. PIM vs PCM as the information source: both of them act as central sources for any information about the product. Basically, both PIM and PCM act as a single source of “truth” – information about the product that is prioritized over any other source in case of possible conflicts. Some of the main responsibilities of product management solutions include detail aggregation, unification over multiple distribution channels, flagging found errors and others. One of the main ways of reducing return numbers and customer service queries is the distribution of the information that is as accurate and recent as possible.
2. PCM is a tool that’s based in “cloud”. It means that all the required information and data is easily accessible and updatable from any place and by any person with sufficient permissions. That means no waiting for any vendor to make one or other edit in between their business hours. That’s why, in essence, PCM is extremely efficient in both content syndication and content management in real time.
3. PCM has both the low implementation cost and the possibility of having extremely low ownership cost by building over any existing tool that specializes in data management. Also worth noting are the following perks of PCM – high adaptability, fairly quicktime-to-value, and faster process of data syndication across the market.
4. PIM vs PCM in workflow management: both of them are able to ease the workflow with determined responsibilities and positions. A lot of different teams are contributing to building your product data, including marketing, creative, merchandising and numerous others. It means that workflow has to be specified as clearly as possible, with all the knowledge and expertise available. Both PCM and PIM are able to help with that process.
5. PCM provides data and rules unification. The solution has an ability to predefine specific rules, both business and formatting ones, to make sure that each entry is up to the required standards, no matter who included it. The fact that the information about the product exists in a digital form requires the maximum consistency of said information. The existence of data formatting tool for product information verification before it goes to consumers is crucial to the overall user experience with said service.
Photo credits: AbsolutVision / Unsplash